An Egg-cellent Idea

Earlier this month, at book club, I was talking to a friend about dying eggs. We both agreed that we thought trying out the whole shaving cream/food color dying trend was the way to go. As we talked a little bit more I wondered if they’d be edible afterwards.

Being edible afterwards is a big thing in this family. The only reason Eric looks forward to this time of year is because he knows he’ll get devilled eggs. So I was feeling somewhat defeated and had resigned myself to the mess of the usual egg dying fun. Then a few days after book club a post shows up on my Facebook feed. What was the post?

Using cool whip instead of shaving cream to create marbled eggs.

Well the original post I saw was a person showing a Pinterest Fail. I found my way to the original post and got really excited. The ingredients were simple: cool whip, vinegar and food color. The process was simple. Then came the time it had to ‘set’. 8-12 hours. CRIMINY. That meant I couldn’t do eggs at the last minute and we’d have to actually prepare things ahead of time. So not my style, but I was super curious to try it out. I looked at our schedule for the upcoming week and decided that the Thursday night before Easter would be a good time to do it.

So Thursday came around and we went to work.

…Ailey had so much fun I had to give her a few of the cracked eggs to work with…
…The eggs on the right certainly looked…Interesting…
…Shaylyn may or may not have eaten the colored cool-whip before swapping colors…
I even tried my hand at a few…
The instructions then said to let them sit in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours. We had finished around 6:00 p.m. and 8 hours later would be 2:00 in the morning. If I let it go for 12 hours, I’d have to get up at 6:00 a.m. Staying up till 2:00 didn’t seem exciting and getting up at 6:00 wasn’t all that thrilling to me either. So when Jace went to bed around 1:00, I decided to check on the eggs with one of my eggs. Yeah, it wasn’t quite ready. I opted to get out of bed around 7:00 and that would give me a little more sleep and it’d be just after the ‘ideal’ window.
I did all the cleaning off by myself and don’t think I cracked any eggs more than they were already. I was super excited by the results.
…I believe the egg in the middle-ish is the one I tried before I went to bed…
…Tanis’…
…Shaylyn’s. I’m loving the middle left one…
…Alexander’s…
…Nate’s ‘interesting’ eggs actually came out pretty cool and camo looking…
…Ailey’s assortment…
…The whole collection…
I was so excited that these turned out so well. The Pinterest Fail post had me extremely worried. I usually find a way to mess things up, but this actually worked for us. I think we’ve found our new egg dying solution. It makes everyone happy – even Eric. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s