For the past little while my mom has really wanted to take her girls to a Time Out For Women. Well, none of us has really had the funds to blow readily available for the conferences held in the months since she discovered TOFW. For whatever reason, though, she decided enough was enough and in January she asked if us girls were interested. It would have to be our birthday presents for the year, but my Mom could make it work if we wanted it.
I was 100% in. I talked to Eric right away so that he could get the Friday off. The venue we chose was only about an hours drive from my mom’s house, but we decided it’d be fun to stay in a hotel since the conference is a Friday night, Saturday day thing. So, it ended up that all I needed to pay for was to chip in for the hotel room and food for the time I was gone. So very inexpensive, all things considered and Eric knew that it would be good for me and was willing to do whatever was necessary to make sure I could get there.
Then came the Strep. I was so sick and so worried I wouldn’t feel well enough to go after all was said and done. Thankfully, with modern medicine and lots of prayers I felt just fine when it was time to go. I left around 2:00 on Friday the 21st and headed to my Mom’s. We waited for just a little bit for my older sister to get back from a meeting she had to go to and then we were on our way.
We got to the hotel around 4:00, got all checked in and then tried to decide what to do about dinner. The conference started at 6:30, so we wanted to make sure we had time to eat and time to get to the event center.
Due to modern day technology, my little sister grabbed her phone and found places to eat nearby. We finally decided on Outback Steakhouse. I decided to take a picture of my food and send it to Eric to make him just a little bit jealous.
While we weren’t in the front of the place, we had a pretty nice place with a walkway in front of us and a big screen just a few feet in front of us, so it was perfect.
The following are my notes from the speakers and I’m writing them down mostly for my benefit, so that I have a place where I know they’re at. These are the things that jumped out at me. They are the things I felt I really needed to hear.
MARIAMA KALLON – Grew up in worn-torn Sierra Leone and witnessed the horrific murders of her family.
– PROVERBS 3: 5-6
“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
– Heavenly Father knows our wants and desires. He knows us better than we know ourselves!
– ALMA 37:37
“Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.”
– We’re NOT alone.
– HOW FIRM A FOUNDATION – Thomas S. Monson, October 2006
– HELAMAN 5:12 (Her Favorite Scripture)
“And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.”
HEIDI SWINSON – Author and screenwriter with lots of PBS documentaries. Also wrote President Monson’s biography.
– Instead of Lead, Kindly Light look at it as Lead! Kindly Light.
– Do you follow that light?
– Parable of the 10 Virgins
– MATTHEW 25:4
“But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.”
– We are light, our heart is our vessel.
– Spend time with those you feel light from.
– Our personal interests help fill our vessel.
– How do you share your time in the temple, sacrament meeting and scripture reading? It’s not a relay race.
– DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS 45
– They Received Truth
– Alma the Younger speaking of his father’s conversion
– Abinadi kept speaking, even when he was in a fire
– THE MORAL FORCE OF WOMEN – D. Todd Christofferson, October 2013
– NO OTHER GODS – Dallin H. Oaks, October 2013
– Do I have other Gods? What are they?
– Stop with the “If I Just Had….”, what the Lord’s given us is all we need.
– Taken Holy Spirit as Guide
– President Monson took to visiting the widows in his home ward. One such widow was one of his Primary teachers. He’d take the time to visit with her and feed her. One other person in the nursing home told him to stop wasting his time because she never spoke to anyone. He continued talking to her and patting her hand. At one moment she said, “I know you. You’re Tommy Monson. My Primary boy.”
– “Difficulities allow us to change for the better.” Thomas S. Monson
– Heidi faced the difficulty of the death of her newborn
– JOHN 14:27
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
– No worldly accolades are worth more than the knowledge of an Eternal Family.
– Heidi shared the following story: One day in church someone fairly new in the ward, casually asked her how she was. For whatever reason she responded by saying, “I’m going to stop buying socks, they just get lost and you can never find the match.” She felt bad for responding in such a way, especially to someone who barely knew her and being the Stake President’s wife she didn’t want to appear that she couldn’t handle what life was giving her at the time.
The next day there was a phone call. Her husband answered it and it was the same lady that had asked how things were the day before. She asked if she could bring dinner every night for the next two weeks. Heidi said her husband immediately said, ‘Yes.’ But had she answered the phone the answer would’ve been a direct ‘No, I’m okay….’
This lady came every day for the next 2 weeks with a meal. It was a little thing, but it was her way of saying, “I can light your way.”
– Here’s What I Can Do To Help (really think about it)
In between the speakers Friday night, Jenny Oaks Baker performed for us. She is a classical violinist and played a few songs for us. In between the song she said a few a words. The things that stood out for me were these:
– We should focus on making sure our own family is running smoothly before we concentrate on the world running smoothly.
– There is the saying that the most important thing a father can do for his kids is to love their mother. She feels its also important that a mother love her children’s father and honors his priesthood.
– Happy Father’s = Happy Families
When Friday night had concluded we headed back to the hotel. We got up to the room and started to discuss some of us wanting ice cream and if we were going to go back out to get some. Once again, my little sister gets on her phone and finds a frozen yogurt place closeby. We head back down the elevator and see this on the main floor:
After our trip to the frozen yogurt place, we came back and for whatever reason my mom just could not figure out how in the world the glove was attached the the fire alarm. My older sister tried explaining it to her and finally said something like, “It works like a condom.” My little sister and I cracked up (we also don’t think my mom heard what my older sister said) and I said, “I don’t think she even knows how a condom works.” Kind of mean, but she didn’t hear me and she probably would’ve laughed if she had.
We get back up to our room and after thinking for it a bit, my older sister says, “You know they probably covered the alarm because of the construction going on.” She’s smart like that. The alarm probably kept going off because of dust in the air or something, so they covered it up. We went to bed later than we should’ve, but we had fun.
So we take seats in the same row we were in the night before and got set for a new day of inspirational words.
– Others have it worse
I don’t think my mom realized they were performing when she got the tickets for us. Nor do I think she realizes just how much I enjoy their sound. So I was super excited that they performed. While they performed their own songs, they also favored us with a medley of boy band favorites starting with The Jackson 5. Definitely entertaining.
I couldn’t find a video already made for this song, so I put one together using images found with Google, LDS.org and GregOlsen.com.